Christopher is a long established specialist in the field of Intellectual Property, representing clients in the Courts and the Patent Office, advising on a wide range of intellectual property matters and giving evidence of English law for the purpose of proceedings abroad. Trade marks and related fields, including unfair competition, franchising and merchandising, are a particular speciality.
Date of call: 1963 (Middle Temple) (Bencher; Middle Temple 1996)
An accredited Mediator (ADR Chambers, INTA International Panel of Neutrals and the IP and Media Bar ADR Group).
Member of Mauritius Bar
Chairman of Performing Right Society Appeals Panel (2005 - 2009)
Worldwide Fund for Nature v THQ/JAKKS Pacific LLC  FSR 10 (High Court and Court of Appeal) . Effect of injunction, enforcing worldwide trade mark settlement agreement, on third party licensees.
Nichols Plc’s TR Application  RPC 301;  ETMR 21, RPC 12 (High Court and ECJ). Successful challenge, via the ECJ, to UK Registry’s surname practice.
Omega SA v Omega Engineering Inc  FSR 49 (High Court) Date from which order for revocation of trade mark, for non-use, should be made effective.
REEF TM  RPC 19 &  RPC 101 (High Court and Court of Appeal). Principles on which Courts should approach opposition appeals from Registrar.
WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature v World Wrestling Federation  FSR 32 and 33 (High Court and Court of Appeal) Summary judgment obtained to enforce a worldwide trade mark settlement agreement.
Pfizer v Eurofood Link  FSR 17 (High Court) VIAGRENE, for an ‘aphrodisiac’ soft drink, an infringement of VIAGRA, registered for pharmaceutical goods. First ever EU wide injunction to enforce a Community Trade Mark.
Directory & testimonial Quotes
As the Legal 500 has said, he is very highly regarded:
“He retains a strong reputation, particularly for his trade mark expertise.”
- IP Bar Association, Chancery Bar
- Association, Bar European Group.
- ECTA (European Communities Trade Mark
- Association) – a founder Member; member of Law Committee
- INTA (International Trademark Association) – member since 1981 and of Board of Directors 1998/2000.
- AIPPI – Member since 1975; Vice President and Council Member of British Group.
- Competition Law Association – founder Member ; Chairman 1985 – 1999
- LIDC (International League of Competition Law) – Member since 1977; President 1996-1998, and an Honorary President since 2000.
- Intellectual Property Institute – Member of Council and (until 2006) of Board of Directors
- Associate Member of ITMA and CIPA
Qualifications and Regulations
MA (Hons) Trinity College, Cambridge
Bar Finals: First Class; awarded Certificate of Honour
Astbury Scholar of Middle Temple
Member of Mauritius Bar
Music, including choral singing for many years; long walks.